RDL85
Derivative-Twilight
Rated T
Disclaimer: All copyrights, trademarked items, or recognizable characters, plots, etc. mentioned herein belong to their respective owners. No copying or reproduction of this work is permitted without their express written authorization.
Audio-Visual Challenge—Video: I Got A Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas, Flash mob on Oprah. View the video and write what comes to you.
This was going to be amazing. Quite possibly the coolest thing I’ve ever organized. Seeing as most of my family never slept like I did it was fairly easy to get them to see what I wanted to do. They were fighting all the time with Jake and his family and I hated that. I loved them all and had never been in any danger around either pack. I mean I’d been around them since I was born, and Jake has been there, better than any brother I could ever have. So when I showed him what I was thinking of doing for my birthday, he...well first he laughed at me. When he saw how angry I was that he laughed at my idea, he assured me it wasn’t that he thought it was dumb. “Ness, I think it’s sounds fun, it’s just the sheer irony of it that’s hilarious,” he says as he continues to giggle.
“what do you mean?? It’s a cool song and the dancing is awesome!!”
“Ness, it’s a bunch of mon-”
“We’re not monsters!!”
I know we’re not Vanessa but did you actually pay attention to the video? I mean dead people wondering the streets…and the Cullens-”
“Do not start Jacob. They’re my family. Emmett, Rose, Dad, my mother! She’s your family too Jake, did you forget that?”
It’s like I came into the world with a divorced family. Only my parents are still together. But seeing as how my vampire family are enemies of my beloved Jacob, his tribe and the pack of shape-shifting wolves among them, things were always a little tense. Which was what brings me to this idea. I Just want us all to get together and do something fun. Last time we all came together on a united front was to protect my life, even if it cost someone else their own. I didn’t want that to be the only time we could all work together.
I asked my family to meet me and Jake somewhere near the treaty line around 11 tonight. I had been on the rez with Jake all day trying to get everyone together for night. I could’ve used some help from Uncle Em but because I’m the only one in my family who can freely cross the treaty line, I had Jacob as my support; actually he was a much better help and I didn’t have much leg pulling to do when I told them what I was up to. The catch being, neither side knew that the other would be there as well. The even trickier part was how to keep my nosy father and Aunt Alice from spoiling things also. Once we got there, he’d sniff out the whole thing in our minds before we could get started. Alice may not be able to see me and the rest of the pack in the future, but she would surely notice that everyone else at home suddenly disappeared around nightfall somewhere approaching the treaty line. That only left the secret weapon in my plan: Mom. With her shielding our plan when others around and helping Jacob to convince Sam and his pack to come tonight, this was fairly easy to pull off.
Jacob and I were getting ready near the treaty line. “Does everyone have it down?”I asked. I knew my own family could get the steps down fairly quickly, but I was a little worried about my family on the rez. Not having the advantage of living for centuries like the Cullens, they had to actually practice and memorize. “They sure do. A few brawls aside we’ve everything down Ness. Don’t worry it will be fine.” I nodded and stepped into his 6’5 frame.
We were snuggled close when I heard someone clear their throat about 2 miles out. I stepped out of his space but still kept comfortably close to his side. Jake and I were close, always had been, but we were also mindful of my parents rules when it came to that closeness and the age difference between us. Jacob said he was fine with it, supported the idea even. I found completely hypocritical, especially when my own father had over a century on my mother and yet, neither of them looked a day over 18. Just as I see my family approach, we here the Quilutes approaching from the other side of the line. Leaving Jacob’s side I walk up to my mother, “Is everything set??”
“It certainly is. I had to let Alice in on it though-”
“Mom!!”
“Whoa whoa, I didn’t have a choice there Nessie. Once I decided to come to her for help she knew something was up before I called. Hell, she called me before I could even hit send!” My aunt the psychic. Vampires with super powers ruin everything.
“Vanessa, watch it.”
“Sorry dad.” See what I mean?
Alice must have sensed she was being discussed because she and Jasper came from the right side of the woods. “Well the music is set. A little difficult to get speakers and wires hooked up all the way out here, even from your house. Why are we so close to the treaty-” she and the others paused and looked over as the last of the tribe arrived. Alice looked at me, “what’s going on Ness?”
“That’s what we’d like to know.” I turned to see Sam and Paul, arms crossed, moving in front of Emily and Rachel.
I noticed two people suddenly shift to wolves on each side the group. “Guys that’s not necessary, and you know it,” I started. “I just brought us all here…to…well, Jake a little help please?”
Jacob, shifting back after crossing the line, walked back to the line at my side, dressing as he went. “We’re gonna dance people. And vampires.” I rolled my eyes at his unnecessary distinction between the species. “you all know what you’ve been practicing. Well, this is why.” Standing on the treaty line itself Jake and I noticed Emmett coming back to his side of the woods just as the music started.
You hear the door slam and realize there's nowhere left to run
You feel the cold hand and wonder if you'll ever see the sun
You close your eyes and hope that this is just imagination, girl!
But all the while you hear the creature creeping up behind
You're out of time
You feel the cold hand and wonder if you'll ever see the sun
You close your eyes and hope that this is just imagination, girl!
But all the while you hear the creature creeping up behind
You're out of time
“You have got to be kidding me. Thriller? Really Vanessa?” Paul laughed from behind me.
Give it a rest, Paul. The rest of us will go through it, since we know you have no skill or coordination whatsoever.” Jacob smirked back at him while the rest of the pack laughed, including Sam.
“All right then, punk let’s do this.”
I looked over at my family and they got into position as well. The music kicked into the dance break of the song. Jack and I stood back and watched our families ‘battle’ each other, dancing the choreography to “Thriller” by Michael Jackson. “This is the coolest thing I have ever seen Ness. Look at them! Hell, look at your mom! The whole time I’ve known her she never danced and now look at her.” I looked over at my mom to see her swing her hands above her head and clap, then down to her sides, bobbing her head as she slid to one side. Looking over at Seth, who seemed to be having the most fun, was laughing and dancing, never missing a step. Everyone, no matter how old, young wolf, vampire or human, was completely into it. Emily missing a few steps, smacking Sam on the arm when he laughed, was determined to get through the dance. We watched them turn around and skip back, turning back and strutting towards the line again.
By the time the song ended, we were all laughing hysterically and commenting on those with a unique sense of “skill.” Dad walked over to me, on his side of the line. I met him at the center as he said, “Ness, you do realize the sheer irony of this, right? Monsters and human alike, dancing in the moonlight?”
Jake walked over then, “that’s what I said.”
“Yes, Dad. But you have to admit-it was fun.”
He pulled me over to him, smiling lazily, “yeah, I guess it was.”
No comments:
Post a Comment